In this video i'm restoring a hopeless case of a super rusty rebar cutter.
People from all over the world send me pictures of their items they'd like to have restored by me in a video. Mostly the items do not look bad enough, not enough rust or not broken enough for an interesting video. However this rebar cutter caught my attention from the first look at it. Marco from Italy was so nice to ship it to me to Switzerland, he gave me this shear for free means he doesn't want to have it back. Thank you very much for that. Right when I saw the pictures I knew this would probably be a very challenging restoration because of all that rust. I assumed that it would be all seized up and a nightmare to disassemble and I was right. This cutter only has four bolts and is built together by only five parts, but I was busy with the disassembling for three days. It was very difficult to get the two big bolts out, specially the smaller one. It needed 12 tons on the hydraulic press and I needed to drill one bolt hollow. I made a lot of parts new on this project, I've only kept three parts original: the body and the two moving parts. As the handle was missing, I made a new one which required quite a few steps of machining, welding and grinding but the end result turned out very nice. As I almost made the whole thing new I decided to give this tool a modern touch with the choice of colour, that's why I went with orange.
I hope you like my work and the video.
Huge thank you to all of my Patreon and PayPal supporters and specially to:
Matthew Holcomb Afreeflyingsoul Andreas Prüm Adel AlSaffar Alan Hanson Amanda Taylor, Esq Andreswara Hermawan Andrew Phillips audi4444player Courtney Maleport Dan Williams Gregory Hunter R. Joel Miller Jonas Richartz LVE Mellissa Marcus Nick Cannon Paul Ambry Paul Mampilly Trevor Kam TRG Restoration Vince Valenti Zachary Grimes
00:00 preview 00:33 disassembling 04:07 showing all the parts 04:21 cleaning the parts with the parts washer 04:33 sandblasting 05:24 showing the sandblasted parts 05:31 restoring the body 07:01 restoring the movable jaw 07:37 restoring the movable gear part 08:14 making the small nut on the lathe 08:59 making the big nut 09:12 making the small bolt on the lathe 10:21 making the big bolt 10:35 making two washers for the bolts on the lathe 11:11 making two new M8 bolts and washers on the lathe 12:10 start of making the missing handle 12:15 preparing the tube on the lathe 12:54 making the domed cap on the lathe 13:20 welding the domed cap on the tube 13:29 cleaning up the welds of the domed cap on the lathe 13:46 making the connection piece to the tool on the lathe 14:57 milling the sides flat and welding up the plates 16:19 welding the connection piece on the tube and turn it clean on the lathe 16:50 making two threads in the connection piece 17:14 sandblasting the handle 17:28 bluing all the parts 18:08 painting the handle and the body 18:43 making two new cutting bits 19:20 hardening and tempering the cutting bits 20:03 showing all the parts before reassembling 20:17 reassembling 21:52 showing the finished restoration 22:43 final test
Time and costs of this restoration:
I was working on this project for 3.5 weeks $60 painting (primer and orange coat) $50 dinner for my friend for the hardening :-)
My camera: Panasonic HC-V180
If you have any questions about the process, machines i'm using or other stuff, just ask me in the comments. I read them all and i try to reply as soon as possible.
Sorry for my bad english, it's not my language. I try my best to improve my technical english.
Subscribe for more of my content. I'm uploading videos about mechanical stuff, as new creations and buildings and also restorations.
Thank you for watching :-)
my mechanics T-Shirts: https://teespring.com/stores/my-mecha...